League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Play selection and diversity next season

By GrandadB - League Admin
9/13/2023 3:52 pm
We will be using the play selection 40 offense and 30 defense, all active. And diversity, 30 offense and 24 defenss plays with no one play used more than 5 times.

This has been tried in the FCS and DFL leagues with success, so we may as well do it here also. I will send a PM to all owners about it along with the "guide" as to how to do it, its very easy so dont worry about what you will need to do as far as gameplanning and settings.

It will not be a "rule" as such, its up to you whether or not you want to have more play selection and use. There are already a few in the league that use a full selection of plays and diverse use.

Re: Play selection and diversity next season

By TheRevelator
9/14/2023 7:43 am
I will not be back next season. Not into Roster Only leagues and that is what happens when you restrict playcalling.

By idontfootballyuh
9/14/2023 8:28 am
How will this be enforced actually?

By GrandadB - League Admin
9/14/2023 9:42 am
TheRevelator wrote:
I will not be back next season. Not into Roster Only leagues and that is what happens when you restrict playcalling.

I understand that concern, but.... that is not what happens, you still have way more control over play call/use than RO. Would you prefer a game where 10 offense plays and 6 defense plays were used all the time? Or how about the single best single plays for each offense type, 1 short pass, 1 med pass, 1 inside run, and 1 outside run. Also, would it be better to use all WR for all of the offense skill positions, and CB for all of the defense positions? That would be the same exaggeration as calling the full play selection and diverstiy being the same as RO.

As far as enforcement, its up to the members in the league. Im not going to force anyone into abiding by the rule, same as golf, either you play it the way its supposed to be played or you dont. For those that dont, which will be few if any, you have a different gameplan saved that you load for "Optimum 4.6", which is the limited play selection and use.

If you take the time to look at a couple of the games in FCS or DFL, you will see the difference as compared to the two extremes (Opt 4.6 & Roster Only). The only thing limiting the use of fewer plays is when the overuse penalty kicks in, which is not the same for all play types.
Last edited at 9/14/2023 9:46 am

By IoanBlood
9/14/2023 11:58 am
The challenge is to find 40 offensive plays and 30 defensive plays iaw certain rules, e.g. minimum 2 plays out of any personnel formation (005, 212, 311, 230 etc, Secondary and LB settings accordingly) and then to keep it to a maximum of used plays (>30 offense, 20 defense) with limit of 5 calls per play.
That means adjusted slider settings and creating rules.
So how could one compare this approach with Roster only leagues?